Dr. Mohamad Louay Jabban
MD. MSc. CCHST. FRCS.
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Highly experienced in Trauma, Arthroscopic Surgery of the Shoulder. Elbow, Wrist. and Knee.
Interest in Trauma, Upper Limb and Sports Medicine.
Fellowship trained with 25 years of training and experience in Syria, UK, France, South Africa, USA, UAE
Consultant Upper Limb and Sports Orthopaedic Surgeon, Burjeel Hospital, Abu Dhabi, UAE, November 2015 till present
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, SKMC/Cleveland Clinic, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2005 – October 2015.
MD, Degree In Medicine and Surgery, Damascus University, Syria, July 1988.
- Fellowship in Upper Limb Surgery
- FRCS (Glasgow) – United Kingdom, 1999
- One year of extended training mainly in Pediatric Orthopaedic, University Teaching Hospitals. (University Fellowship), 1993
- CCHST – Certificate of Completion of Higher Surgical Training (Orthopaedic Surgery), 1992.
Clinical Experience (ALTS Certified)
- Management of fractures using different methods of internal fixation like interlocking nailing, plating, and external fixation including LCP.
- Management of spine and pelvic fractures
- Routine diagnostic arthroscopy, meniscal tears, meniscal repair, removal of loose bodies, retinacular release…etc.
- Arthroscopic ACL reconstruction using both BTB and STG autograft.
- Open repair of ligament injuries around the knee.
- Shoulder instability Open and Arthroscopic.
- Ankle and Foot injuries.
- Open and arthroscopic elbow surgery.
- Spent one-year training in a pediatric orthopaedic unit. The unit is the main referral center for the area of central Syria.
- Conservative and operative management of DDH, foot deformities and CP.
- Experience in the conservative and surgical management of fractures and fracture complications in children.
- Good experience in performing discectomies and laminectomies
- Familiar with many systems of spinal instrumentation.
- Involved in many surgeries for fractures, spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, infections and scoliosis.
- Good experience in management of acute bony and soft tissue injuries of the hand and wrist and management of elective hand surgeries such as carpal tunnel release, trigger finger, Dupuytren’s contracture etc.
- Wrist arthroscopy, reconstruction, limited and total fusion, vascularized bone graft, and arthroplasty.
- Hemiarthroplasty of the hip and shoulder, TKR, THR.
- Infected and Revision Arthroplasty management.
- Periarthroplasty fractures.
Courses and Workshops
- Arthroscopy and Sports Surgery Course, Abu Dhabi, May, 2002.
- Smith & Nephew Taylor Spatial Frame workshop, Abu Dhabi, Dec, 2002.
- Upper Limb Intensive Course, Abu Dhabi, March 2002.
- Upper Limb Intensive Course, Abu Dhabi, October 2002
- Upper Limb Intensive Course, Abu Dhabi, Dec 2003
- Advance Orthofix External Fixator Course, May 2004
- Trigen Intramedullery Nail System.Third generation nail Course, March 2005
- Orthofix External Fixator Course, Abu Dhabi, May 2005
- AO Courses: Advances in Fracture Management, master course lower limb, master course upper limb, spine
- ATLS Course, Abu Dhabi, April 2006
- ISAKOS Congress Florence 2007, Osaka 2009
- 2011 FESSH Federation of the European Societies for Surgery of the Hand XVI FESSH Congress, Oslo, Norway May 26 – 28, 2011
- 2012 FESSH Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand, 17th FESSH Congress, Antwerp, Belgium Jun 21 – 23, 2012
- International Symposium Jouvenet Hand Institute, Paris, April 2013
- Member of the meeting organizing committee for upper limb surgery in SKMC.
- All Hand and Shoulder meeting and workshops during last 5 years in UAE.
- Upper Limb Surgery – Burnley General Hospital, UK, 2001
- Knee Arthroplasty, Hip Arthroplasty – Harrogate District Hospital, UK, 2002
- Shoulder Arthroscopy – Institut de la Main, France, 2003
- Shoulder Instability – Cape Shoulder Institute, South Africa, 2008
- Shoulder Arthroscopy – The Shoulder Institute at the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth UK, 2009
- Shoulder and Elbow Arthroscopy – North Comberland University Hospital, UK, 2010
- Upper Limb Surgery – Wrightington Upper Limb Unit, UK, 2011
- Wrist Arthroscopy – Countess of Chester Hospital, UK, 2012
- Shoulder Arthroscopy – Cleveland Clinic Ohio, USA, 2013
Presentation and Publications
- Recent trends in management of DDH “thesis submitted for fulfilment of the Certificate of Higher Surgical Training”
- The Orthofix External Fixator, analysis of cases treated in Jaziera and Central hospitals in 5 years. Presentation in the first Emirate Mini Symposium, October 2000
- Osseous manifestations of hyperparathyroidism. Presentation in the Abu Dhabi clinical meeting, January 2001.
- The use of Orthofix external fixator in central hospital (1995-2000). The 8th Pan Arab Orthopaedic congress.October,2001.
- Gamma nail in ipsilateral femoral neck and shaft fractures.
- Presentation in the Interemirates orthopaedic meeting, December 2002.
- RSDS, Presented in ADOC meting, 2003.
- Lisfranc’s Fracture. Presentation in the inter-emirates orthopaedic meeting, December 2004.
- AC Joint injuries, Presentation in the inter-emirates orthopaedic meeting, December 2006.
- Coracoid Fracture, Presented in the SKMC surgical research meeting 2007.
- Clavical fracture past and present, SKMC, surgical meeting 2008.
- Scaphoid non-union, SKMC, Surgical meeting ,2009.
- Management of osteoporotic fracture, SKMC, surgical meeting 2009.
- Hand approaches, AO hand workshop, March 2010.
- Massive rotator cuff tears, Hand and shoulder meeting, April 2010
- Presenting papers in the Syrian orthopaedic association meetings 2010
- Scaphoid lesion in distal radius fracture, presented in 2011 FESSH Federation of the European Societies for Surgery of the Hand XVI FESSH Congress, Oslo, Norway May 26 – 28 2011.
- Distal clavicle fracture new technic, ISKSAA meeting 2014.
- Fixation of Distal Clavicle, Wrightington Shoulder Meeting 2014.
Series of presentation as part of inter departmental CME and UAE meeting:
- Scapholunate Ligament repair
- New trends in wrist arthroscopy
- Scaphoid non-union, vascularised bone graft
- Stiff elbow
- Damage control in Orthopaedics
- Clavicle fracture
- Biceps from glenoid to radius
- Massive rotator cuff repair
- Options in ACJ disruptions
- Intertan nail tips and tricks
Organized more than 10 orthopaedic meetings and symposium
Run professor visiting program for 7 years.
Member in many quality task force like VTA
Faculty in many courses